Empower Indy Inc. is a tax exempt 501c3 community-based organization and nonreligious extension of Powerhouse Global Network. Empower Indy Inc. provides human services, resources, and empowerment opportunities to all regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or socioeconomic status.
- Faith-based (as related to a federal or state classification)
- Social Justice
- Mental Health
Board Member duties & responsibilities:
- Provide oversight of the organization’s mission, vision, and values.
- Participate actively in board meetings and committee work.
- Make informed decisions based on research, discussions, and the organization’s best interests.
- Review and approve the organization’s budget and major financial transactions.
- Hire, supervise, and assess the performance of the Chief Executive Officer or Executive Director.
- Support the organization’s fundraising efforts and community outreach initiatives.
- Uphold fiduciary responsibilities, ensuring the organization is well-managed and financially stable.
- Ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Act as an ambassador for the organization, representing its interests in the community.
- Engage in strategic planning and setting long-term goals for the organization.
- Participate in the review and modification of policies and procedures to maintain the organization’s relevance and effectiveness.
Board term & limits:
- Each board member serves a term of 4 years.
- Board members can be re-elected for up to two consecutive terms.
- After serving two consecutive terms (a total of 8 years), members must rotate off the board for a minimum of one year before they can be considered for reappointment.
- Board terms are staggered to ensure continuity in leadership and institutional memory.
- Board members are expected to make an annual personal financial contribution to Empower Global. The amount is determined by the board member’s capacity and commitment but should be a meaningful personal contribution.
- In addition to personal contributions, board members are encouraged to solicit funds and support from their networks, helping to broaden the organization’s donor base.
- Members are also expected to participate in and support fundraising events and campaigns throughout the year.
- While financial contributions are essential, it’s important to note that in-kind support, strategic partnerships, and connections can also be valuable forms of support.
- Strategic Planning