Conquer MG supports, informs, advocates, and funds research. Conquer MG’s goal is to provide programs and services that have a positive, direct impact on MG patients and their families. MG (Myasthenia Gravis) is an autoimmune disease that targets the communication point between the nerve and the muscle. In MG, antibodies block, alter or destroy the neurotransmitter receptors on muscle tissue. Since the muscles can’t receive the signal to contract, people with MG become weak.
Board Member duties & responsibilities:
The Board of Trustees is responsible for governing the overall execution of Conquer MG’s mission and advancing the four pillars. It comprises up to eight voting members. Terms are three years from the date of appointment and may be renewed. A minimum of one member of the Board must be an MG patient. Members need not be residents of Illinois.
Board members are expected to:
- Attend and actively participate in quarterly board meetings, which are held virtually on a weekday chosen by the Board from 4:30 p.m.–6:00 p.m., and one in-person planning meeting in the spring. If a board member cannot attend an in-person meeting, all efforts will be made to conduct the planning meeting as a hybrid meeting. One excused meeting is allowed per year.
- Serve on at least one committee.
- Attend a minimum of one patient support group meeting and one educational program either in-person or virtually per year.
- Help guide programming, including the annual fundraiser, Viking Challenge for MG, and other
- Oversee the association management company that is contracted to manage the day-to-day operations of the organization.
- Provide proper financial oversight by being familiar with Conquer MG financial activities.
- Support the organization financially according to individual ability. Serving on the Board does not come with a mandatory donation; however, we ask that each Board member make a monetary contribution that fits their means.
- Ensure adequate sponsor support by helping to identify potential sponsors. Conquer MG has ongoing sponsor relationships and is eager to grow its sponsorship program to increase its program and service offering.
- Use personal networks to promote the annual fundraiser, the Viking Challenge for MG, held each spring.
- Be an ambassador for the organization by serving as a public advocate for MG and positively promoting Conquer MG’s mission.
Board term & limits:
Term duration – two years
Support the organization financially according to individual ability. Serving on the Board does not come with a mandatory donation; however, we ask that each Board member make a monetary contribution that fits their means.